Hey all,

I'd like to propose a new broker side replica assignment strategy and an
interface that generalizes replica assignment on brokers and makes them
pluggable.

Briefly, the motivation for the new replica assignment strategy is that
more and more of our customers would want to run their clusters in a
stretched environment, where for instance a cluster is running over
multiple regions (and multiple racks inside a region). Since this seems
like a more common need, we'd like to contribute back our implementation
and also make a generalized interface, so that new strategies that people
may come up with could be served better.

I welcome any feedback on this KIP.

The link:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-879%3A+Multi-level+Rack+Awareness

Best to all,