Hi Tina,

Thanks for the KIP!

I hope someone with prior MM or Kafka config experience is able to chime in
here; I have neither.

I took a look at your KIP, and it makes sense to me. I also think your
migration plan is a good one.

One suggestion: I'm not sure how concerned you are about people's ability to
migrate, but if you want to make it as smooth as possible, you could add one
more step. In the 4.0 release, while removing `use.incremental.alter.configs`,
you can also add `use.legacy.alter.configs` to give users a path to continue
using the old behavior even after the default changes.

Clearly, this will prolong the deprecation period, with implications on code
maintenance, so there is some downside. But generally, I've found going above
and beyond to support smooth upgrades for users to be well worth it in the long
run.

Thanks again,
-John