Clarification below.

I did not understand your point about maintenance expense to ensure
> compatibility. I am confused because, IMO, irrespective of our bug fix
> support duration for minor versions, we should ensure that all prior minor
> versions are compatible. Hence, increasing the support duration to 24
> months will not add more expense than today to ensure compatibility.

No, I am not saying that. I am saying that there is no reason not to
upgrade from one minor release to another since we provide full
compatibility between minor releases. The expensive part is that we release
3 times a year, so you have to support 6 releases at any given point in
time. More importantly, you have to validate all these releases, handle any
additional bugs and so on. When it comes to the CVE stuff, you also have to
deal with cases where a project you depend on forces an upgrade to a
release with compatibility impact and so on. Having seen this first hand,
it's a significant amount of work.

Ismael