Hi Greg,

Thanks for the response and sorry for the late reply.

> Currently the AK tests have a lot of calls to, for example, new
> SinkRecord(String topic, int partition, Schema keySchema,
> Object key, Schema valueSchema, Object value, long kafkaOffset)
> , a constructor without the original T/P/O values. I assumed that for
> backwards compatibility these constructors would still be usable in
> new runtimes. I imagine that there are also tests in downstream projects
> which make use of these constructors, whenever a Transform, Predicate,
> or Task is tested without a corresponding Converter. My question was
> about what values are chosen for the original T/P/O methods when these
> constructors are used after an upgrade to the latest connect-api.

That's a good question - since this should only primarily affect testing I
think it should be acceptable to simply use the topic, partition and
kafkaOffset values as the originalTopic, originalKafkaPartition
and originalKafkaOffset?

> If you inject the original T/P/O only before and after the chain, SMTs
> after an SMT which changes the original T/P/O will see whatever the
earlier
> SMT emitted. Is this intentional, or should this be avoided?

Hmm, this sounds like a misbehaving / badly implemented SMTs since there
doesn't seem to be any reasonable situation where an SMT should modify a
sink record's original topic / partition / offset data so I'm not in favor
of introducing checks and guards in the framework for this.

Another point that I've been pondering about is the one you raised about
the composability of Connect's plugin ecosystem and the special case
handling we're adding to sink connector plugins to work with certain
transformation plugin types. This really doesn't seem like a good precedent
to be setting / starting (since there don't seem to be any other such
"snowflake" inter-plugin interactions) in my opinion. The alternative of
completely managing this in the framework (and only exposing the virtual
coordinates to the sink tasks) doesn't seem too appealing either due to the
backward compatibility concerns while maintaining existing support and
functionality such as the possibility of implementing exactly-once
semantics, ability for tasks to rewind consumer offsets arbitrarily (which
might require the introduction of some form of persistence for the physical
<-> virtual coordinate mapping) etc. Unfortunately, even though this is a
long standing problem that all of us want to fix, I'm considering moving
this KIP into a dormant / inactive state since there doesn't seem to be a
design that satisfies all the general principles that the Kafka Connect
framework has striven to uphold.

Thanks,
Yash