Thanks again for bringing this up, David!

As an update to the community, the PMC has approved a process to make use of
this feature.

Here are the relevant updates:

PR to add the policy: https://github.com/apache/kafka-site/pull/510

PR to update the list: https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/13713

Ticket to automate this process.. Contributions welcome :)

And to make sure it doesn't fall through the cracks in the mean time, here's
the release process step:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Release+Process#ReleaseProcess-UpdatetheCollaboratorsList

Unfortunately, the "collaborator" feature only allows 20 usernames, so we have
decided to simply take the top 20 non-committer authors from the past year
(according to git shortlog). Congratulations to our new collaborators!

Victoria Xia, Greg Harris, Divij Vaidya, Lucas Brutschy, Yash Mayya, Philip
Nee, vamossagar12,, Christo Lolov, Federico Valeri, andymg3, RivenSun, Kirk
True, Matthew de Detrich, Akhilesh C, Alyssa Huang, Artem Livshits, Gantigmaa
Selenge, Hao Li, Niket, and hudeqi

Thanks,
-John