Hey Colin,

Thanks for the review!

I am also skeptical that much space can be reclaimed via compaction as
detailed in the limitations section of the KIP.

In my head there are two ways to get out of the saturated state - configure
more aggressive retention and delete topics. I wasn't aware that KRaft
deletes topics marked for deletion on startup if the disks occupied by
those partitions are full - I will check it out, thank you for the
information! On the retention side, I believe there is still a benefit in
keeping the broker up and responsive - in my experience, people first try
to reduce the data they have and only when that also does not work they are
okay with sacrificing all of the data.

Let me know your thoughts!

Best,
Christo