Hi Jack,

Thanks for the KIP! Seems like an interesting idea. I have some feedback:

1) It would be great if you could clean up the text that seems to mimic the
KIP template. It is generally not required in the KIP.

2) In the Public Interfaces where you mentioned *Partitioner method in
**org/apache/kafka/clients/producer
will have the following update*, I believe you meant the Partitioner
*interface*?

3) Staying on Public Interface, it is generally preferable to add a
Javadocs section along with the newly added method. You could also describe
the behaviour of it invoking the default existing method.

4) The option that is mentioned in the Rejected Alternatives, seems more
like a workaround to the current problem that you are describing. That
could be added to the Motivation section IMO.

5) Can you also add some more examples of scenarios where this would be
helpful? The only scenario mentioned seems to have a workaround. Just
trying to ensure that we have a strong enough motivation before adding a
public API.

6) One thing which should also be worth noting down would be what happens
if users override both methods, only one method (new or old) and no methods
(the default behaviour). It would help in understanding the proposal better.

Thanks!
Sagar.