Thanks everyone for the great discussions so far! I first saw the JIRA
and left some quick thoughts without being aware of the
already-written KIP (kudos to Almog, very great one) and the DISCUSS
thread here. And I happily find some of my initial thoughts align with
the KIP already :)

Would like to add a bit more of my 2c after reading through the KIP
and the thread here:

1. On the high level, I'm in favor of pushing this KIP through without
waiting on the other gaps to be closed. In my back pocket's
"dependency graph" of Kafka Streams roadmap of large changes or
feature gaps, the edges of dependencies are defined based on my
understanding of whether doing one first would largely complicate /
negate the effort of the other but not vice versa, in which case we
should consider getting the other done first. In this case, I feel
such a dependency is not strong enough, so encouraging the KIP
contributor to finish what he/she would love to do to close some gaps
early would be higher priorities. I did not see by just doing this we
could end up in a worse intermediate stage yet, but I could be
corrected.

2. Regarding the store types --- gain here I'd like to just clarify
the terms a bit since in the past it has some confusions: we used
"impl types" (in hindsight it may not be a good name) for rocksdb /
memory / custom, and we used "store types" for kv / windowed /
sessioned etc, as I said in the JIRA I think the current proposal also
have a good side effect as quality bar to really enforce us think
twice when trying to add more store types in the future as it will
impact API instantiations. In the ideal world, I would consider:

* We have (timestamped) kv store, versioned kv store, window store,
session store as first-class DSL store types. Some DSL operators could
accept multiple store types (e.g. versioned and non versioned
kv-store) for semantics / efficiency trade-offs. But I think we would
remove un-timestamped kv stores eventually since that efficiency
trade-off is so minimal compared to its usage limitations.
* As for list-value store (for stream-stream Join), memory-lru-cache
(for PAPI use only), memory-time-ordered-buffer (for suppression),
they would not be exposed as DSL first-class store types in the
future. Instead, they would be treated as internal used stores (e.g.
list-value store is built on key-value store with specialized serde
and putInternal), or continue to be just convenient OOTB PAPI used
stores only.
* As we move on, we will continue to be very, very strict on what
would be added as DSL store types (and hence requires changes to the
proposed APIs), what to be added as convenient OOTB PAPI store impls
only, what to be added as internal used store types that should not be
exposed to users nor customizable at all.

3. Some more detailed thoughts below:

3.a) I originally also think that we can extend the existing config,
rather than replacing it. The difference was that I was thinking that
order-wise, the runtime would look at the API first, and then the
config, whereas in your rejected alternative it was looking at the
config first, and then the API --- that I think is a minor thing and
either is fine. I'm in agreement that having two configs would be more
confusing to users to learn about their precedence rather than
helpful, but if we keep both a config and a public API, then the
precedence ordering would not be so confusing as long as we state them
clearly. For example:

* We have DefaultStoreTypeSpec OOTB, in that impl we look at the
config only, and would only expect either ROCKS or MEMORY, and return
corresponding OOTB store impls; if any other values configured, we
error out.
* Users extend that by having MyStoreTypeSpec, in which they could do
arbituray things without respecting the config at all, but our
recommended pattern in docs would still say "look into the config, if
it is ROCKS or MEMORY just return fall back to DefaultStoreTypeSepc;
otherwise if it's some String you recognize, then return your
customized store based on the string value, otherwise error out".

3.b) About the struct-like Params classes, I like the idea a lot and
wished we would pursue this in the first place, but if we only do this
in Spec it would leave some inconsistencies with the StoreBuilders
though arguably the latter is only for PAPI. I'm wondering if we
should consider including the changes in StoreBuilders (e.g.
WindowStoreBuilder(WindowSupplierParams)), and if yes, maybe we should
also consider renaming that e.g. `WindowSupplierParams` to
`WindowStoreSpecParams` too? For this one I only have a "weak feeling"
so I can be convinced otherwise :P

Thanks,
Guozhang