Thanks Florin for the writeup,

One quick thing I'd like to bring up is that in KIP-149
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-149%3A+Enabling+key+access+in+ValueTransformer%2C+ValueMapper%2C+and+ValueJoiner)
we introduced ValueJoinerWithKey which is aimed to enhance
ValueJoiner. It would have a benefit for this KIP such that
implementers can distinguish "null-key" v.s. "not-null-key but
null-value" scenarios.

Hence I'd suggest we also include the semantic changes with
ValueJoinerWithKey, which can help distinguish these two scenarios,
and also document that if users apply ValueJoiner only, they may not
have this benefit, and hence we suggest users to use the former.

Guozhang