Thanks for the thorough response, Sophie.

- Added to the "Future Release Plan"

> 1. Why is the KIP freeze deadline on a Saturday?

It was simply added as a starting point - around 30 days from the
announcement. We can move it earlier to the 15th of November, but my
thinking is later is better with these things - it's already aggressive
enough. e.g given the choice of Nov 15 vs Nov 18, I don't necessarily see a
strong reason to choose 15.

If people feel strongly about this, to make up for this, we can eat into
the KF-FF time as I'll touch upon later, and move FF a few days earlier to
land on a Wednesday.

This reduces the time one has to get their feature complete after KF, but
allows for longer time to a KIP accepted, so the KF-FF gap can be made up
when developing the feature in parallel.

> , this makes it easy for everyone to remember when the next deadline is
so they can make sure to get everything in on time. I worry that varying
this will catch people off guard.

I don't see much value in optimizing the dates for ease of memory - besides
the KIP Freeze (which is the base date), there are only two more dates to
remember that are on the wiki. More importantly, we have a plethora of
tools that can be used to set up reminders - so a contributor doesn't
necessarily need to remember anything if they're serious about getting
their feature in.

> 3. Is there a particular reason for having the feature freeze almost a
full 3 weeks from the KIP freeze? ... having 3 weeks between the KIP and
feature freeze (which are
usually separated by just a single week)?

I was going off the last two releases, which had *20 days* (~3 weeks) in
between KF & FF. Here are their dates:

- AK 3.5
  - KF: 22 March
  - FF: 12 April
    - (20 days after)
  - CF: 26 April
    - (14 days after)
  - Release: 15 June
     - 50 days after CF
- AK 3.6
  - KF: 26 July
  - FF: 16 Aug
    - (20 days after)
  - CF: 30 Aug
    - (14 days after)
  - Release: 11 October
    - 42 days after CF

I don't know the precise reasoning for extending the time, nor what is the
most appropriate time - but having talked offline to some folks prior to
this discussion, it seemed reasonable.

Your proposal uses an aggressive 1-week gap between both, which is quite
the jump from the previous 3 weeks.

Perhaps someone with more direct experience in the recent can chime in
here. Both for the reasoning for the extension from 1w to 3w in the last 2
releases, and how they feel about reducing this range.

> 4. On the other hand, we usually have a full two weeks from the feature
freeze deadline to the code freeze but with the given schedule there would
only be a week and a half. Given how important this period is for testing
and stabilizing the release, and how vital this is for uncovering blockers
that would have delayed the release deadline, I really think we should
maintain the two-week gap (at a minimum)

This is a fair point. At the end of the day, we have to take time out of
either one of the 3 ranges (now - KF; KF-FF; FF-CF;)
*It sounds fair to me to take out half a week from KF-FF and add it to
FF-CF*. e.g:
- KF=Nov 18 (Sat)
- FF=Dec 6 (Wed) 2.5w after
- CF=Dec 20 (Wed) 2w after

How do others feel about this?

> Just to throw a suggestion out there, if we want to avoid running into
the winter holidays while still making up for slipping of recent releases,
what about something like this: ...

Looking at the last 2 releases, they both had a full month between KIP
Freeze and Code Freeze to finish contributions. Your proposal goes back to
a more aggressive 3 weeks e2e time. All else equal, if the release date is
to be kept as early January, I would prefer to opt for the more
accommodative 4-week period.

> Note that historically, we have set all the deadlines on a Wednesday and
when in doubt erred on the side of an earlier deadline ... We can, and
often have, allowed things to come in late between the Wednesday freeze
deadline and the following Friday, but only on a case-by-case basis.

This makes sense to me. The proposal I put above puts the two critical
dates (FF & CF) on Wed to allow for this flexibility in case it's needed.

Best,
Stanislav

--
Best,