Dear Apache Kafka Users,

We want to bring to your attention a security vulnerability affecting all
released versions of Apache Kafka that have a dependency on Zookeeper. The
vulnerability, identified as CVE-2023-44981 [1], specifically impacts users
utilizing SASL Quorum Peer authentication in Zookeeper.

Vulnerability Details:
- Affected Versions: All released versions of Apache Kafka with Zookeeper
dependency.
- CVE Identifier: CVE-2023-44981 [1]
- Impact: Limited to users employing SASL Quorum Peer authentication in
Zookeeper (quorum.auth.enableSasl=true)

Action Required:
Upcoming Apache Kafka versions, 3.6.1 (release date - tentative Dec '23)
and 3.7.0 (release date - Jan'23 [3]), will depend on Zookeeper versions
containing fixes for the vulnerability. In the interim, we highly advise
taking proactive steps to safeguard Zookeeper ensemble election/quorum
communication by implementing a firewall [2].

Future Updates:
We are diligently working on addressing this vulnerability in our upcoming
releases. We will keep you updated on any changes to our recommendations
and promptly inform you of the release dates for Apache Kafka versions
3.6.1 and 3.7.0.

If you have any further questions regarding this, please don't hesitate to
reach out to us at secur...@kafka.apache.org or post a comment at

Best Regards,

Divij Vaidya
On behalf of Apache Kafka PMC