On Tue, Nov 21, 2023, at 19:30, Luke Chen wrote:
> Yes, KIP-853 and disk failure support are both very important missing
> features. For the disk failure support, I don't think this is a
> "good-to-have-feature", it should be a "must-have" IMO. We can't announce
> the 4.0 release without a good solution for disk failure in KRaft.

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the reply.

Controller disk failure support is not missing from KRaft. I described how to
handle controller disk failures earlier in this thread.

I should note here that the broker in ZooKeeper mode also requires manual
handling of disk failures. Restarting a broker with the same ID, but an empty
disk, breaks the invariants of replication when in ZK mode. Consider:

1. Broker 1 goes down. A ZK state change notification for /brokers fires and
goes on the controller queue.

2. Broker 1 comes back up with an empty disk.

3. The controller processes the zk state change notification for /brokers.
Since broker 1 is up no action is taken.

4. Now broker 1 is in the ISR for any partitions it was previously, but has no
data. If it is or becomes leader for any partitions, irreversable data loss
will occur.

This problem is more than theoretical. We at Confluent have observed it in
production and put in place special workarounds for the ZK clusters we still
have.

KRaft has never had this problem because brokers are removed from ISRs when a
new incarnation of the broker registers.

So perhaps ZK mode is not ready for production for Aiven? Since disk failures
do in fact require special handling there. (And/or bringing up new nodes with
empty disks, which seems to be their main concern.)

> It’s also worth thinking about how Apache Kafka users who depend on JBOD
> might look at the risks of not having a 3.8 release. JBOD support on KRaft
> is planned to be added in 3.7, and is still in progress so far. So it’s
> hard to say it’s a blocker or not. But in practice, even if the feature is
> made into 3.7 in time, a lot of new code for this feature is unlikely to be
> entirely bug free. We need to maintain the confidence of those users, and
> forcing them to migrate through 3.7 where this new code is hardly
> battle-tested doesn’t appear to do that.

As Ismael said, if there are JBOD bugs in 3.7, we will do follow-on point
releases to address them.

> Our goal for 4.0 should be that all the “main” features in KRaft are in
> production ready state. To reach the goal, I think having one more release
> makes sense. We can have different opinions about what the “main features”
> in KRaft are, but we should all agree, JBOD is one of them.

The current plan is for JBOD to be production-ready in the 3.7 branch.

The other features of KRaft have been in production-ready state since the 3.3
release. (Well, except for delegation tokens and SCRAM, which were implemented
in 3.5 and 3.6)

> I totally agree with you. We can keep delaying the 4.0 release forever. I'd
> also like to draw a line to it. So, in my opinion, the 3.8 release is the
> line. No 3.9, 3.10 releases after that. If this is the decision, will your
> concern about this infinite loop disappear?

Well, the line was drawn in KIP-833. If we redraw it, what is to stop us from
redrawing it again and again?

> Final note: Speaking of the missing features, I can always cooperate with
> you and all other community contributors to make them happen, like we have
> discussed earlier. Just let me know.

Thanks, Luke. I appreciate the offer.

But, on the KRaft side, I still maintain that nothing is missing except JBOD,
which we already have a plan for.

best,
Colin