Hey Ismael,

I'm considering if we can do something in this KIP for the SASL baggage
we've accumulated. Prior to the existence of the `SaslHandshake` API, we
supported the raw SASL protocol. The main gap was that it did not support
negotiation of the SASL method. This was fixed in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-43:+Kafka+SASL+enhancements
where we added the `SaslHandshake` and `SaslAuthenticate`. This has been
supported in the broker since 0.10.0 and, as far as I can tell, all major
clients mentioned in the KIP support the `SaslHandshake` API. However, we
still support fallback logic on the broker, effectively assuming GSSAPI if
the initial request is not a Kafka request. Can we require SASL negotiation
through `SaslHandshake` and drop support for this fallback logic?

I also looked at `SaslAuthenticate`, which was added in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-152+-+Improve+diagnostics+for+SASL+authentication+failures.
Once method negotiation is complete using `SaslHandshake`, then we still
support direct authentication using the SASL protocol (i.e. without the
wrapped `SaslAuthenticate`).  It would be nice to drop this as well, but it
looks like kafka-python may not implement it.

Thanks,
Jason