On Thu, Dec 28, 2023, at 18:17, Justine Olshan wrote:
> Hey Colin,
>
> Some folks were concerned about the lack of automatic unclean leader
> election. I mentioned that KIP-966 would actually be better with its
> aggressive recovery option.
> I think folks were hoping for some availability over durability solution
> for KRaft, so if we don't do KIP-966 we should provide an alternative or be
> able to convince ourselves it is not needed.

Hi Justine,

That's a fair point. We should specify in KIP-1012 that we need to have some
way to configure the system to automatically do unclean leader election. If we
run out of time implementing KIP-966, this could be something quite simple,
like honoring the static unclean.leader.election = true configuration.

> I think while many folks decided KIP-853 was a blocker, there were a lot of
> other features that many folks were expecting so I don't think we can say
> definitively the only must-have is KIP-853 (and hence the discussion thread
> here :) )
>
> Also as an aside, I filed a ticket to remove ZK from the top of the
> quickstart guide. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-15975

Yeah. There is a bunch of docs and quickstart cleanup that we should do. I
don't think any of it is a blocker for 3.8 or 4.0, but the new year is a good
time to clean things up.

best,
Colin