Hi Proven,

Thanks for the KIP. I think there is a need for this capability, for those of
us who deploy from trunk (or branches dervied from trunk).

With regard to "unstable.metadata.versions.enable": is this going to be a
documented configuration, or an internal one? I am guessing we want it to be
documented, so that users can use it. If we do, we should probably also very
prominently warn that THIS WILL BREAK UPGRADES FOR YOUR CLUSTER. That includes
logging an ERROR message on startup, etc.

It would be good to document if a release can go out that contains "future MVs"
that are unstable. Like can we make a 3.8 release that contains IBP_4_0_IV0 in
MetadataVersion.java, as an unstable future MV? Personally I think the answer
should be "yes," but with the usual caveats. When the actual 4.0 comes out, the
unstable 4.0 MV that shipped in 3.8 probably won't work, and you won't be able
to upgrade. (It was unstable, we told you not to use it.)

best,
Colin