José,

INVALID_UPDATE_VERSION was added as part of KIP-497. The KIP seems to be
lacking some details on the error.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-497%3A+Add+inter-broker+API+to+alter+ISR
https://github.com/apache/kafka/commit/57de67db22eb373f92ec5dd449d317ed2bc8b8d1

The error seems to be used in the feature update path as well, though that
was also not included in KIP-584. I wonder if we were missing necessary
details for many KIPs in 2020...

I'm not sure I fully understand the proposal. Is the question for the exact
error to use in UpdatableFeatureResult.ErrorCode and what to write in
UpdatableFeatureResult.ErrorMessage? If so, those errors and adding a
message (the dependency that was violated for example) makes sense.
I agree that it makes sense that any errors in updates should be a top
level error and not have a partial update.

I thought these were part of KIP-584, but I will take a look and update
this KIP if they are not.

Justine