Hi,

Thanks for the KIP. Sorting this out in 3.8.0 would be really nice as
it would allow us to migrate this tool in 4.0.0. We're unfortunately
past the KIP deadline but maybe this is small enough to have an
exception.

I'm wondering whether we need to introduce a new Decoder interface and
instead if we could reuse Deserializer. We could deprecate the
key-decoder-class and value-decoder-class flags and introduce new
flags like key-deserializer-class and value-deserializer-class. One
benefit is that we already have many existing deserializer
implementations. WDYT?

One issue I also noted is that some of the existing Decoder
implementations (StringDecoder for example) can accept configurations
but currently DumpLogSegments does not provide a way to pass any
configurations, it creates an empty VerifiableProperties object each
time it instantiates a Decoder instance. If we were to use
Deserializer we would also need a way to provide configurations.

Thanks,
Mickael