I just downloaded the Kafka binary and am trying this on my 32 bit JVM (Java 7)? Trying to start Zookeeper or Kafka server keeps failing with "Unrecognized VM option 'UseCompressedOops'":

./zookeeper-server-start.sh ../config/zookeeper.properties
Unrecognized VM option 'UseCompressedOops'
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.

Same with the Kafka server startup scripts. My Java version is:

java version "1.7.0_71"
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 24.71-b01, mixed mode)

Should there be a check in the script, before adding this option?

-Jaikiran