Just wanted to add a few more comments on this: KIPs were suggested as
a process to help reach early consensus on a major change or not so
major (but tricky or backward incompatible) change in order to reduce
the likelihood of multiple iterations and complete rewrites during
code reviews (which is time-intensive for both the contributor and
reviewers); as well as to reduce the likelihood of surprises (say, if
a patch inadvertently changes a public API).  So KIPs are intended to
speed up development since a clear path is charted out and there is
prior consensus on whether a feature and its design/implementation
make sense or not.

Obviously this breaks down if KIPs are not being actively discussed -
again I think we can do much better here. I think we ended up with a
backlog because as soon as the KIP wiki was started, a number of
pre-existing jiras and discussions were moved there - all within a few
days. Now that there are quite a few outstanding KIPs I think we just
need to methodically work through those - preferably a couple at a
time. I looked through the list and I think we should be able to
resolve all of them relatively quickly if everyone is on board with
this.

> > Its probably more helpful for contributors if its "lazy" as in "no
> > strong objections" .

Gwen also suggested this and this also sounds ok to me as I wrote
earlier - what do others think? This is important especially if
majority in the community think if this less restrictive policy would
spur and not hinder development - I'm not sure that it does. I
completely agree that KIPs fail to a large degree as far as the
original motivation goes if they require a lazy majority but the
DISCUSS threads are stalled. IOW regardless of that discussion, I
think we should rejuvenate some of those threads especially now that
0.8.2 is out of the way.

Thanks,

Joel