On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 12:13:46PM -0800, Neha Narkhede wrote:
> I think all of us agree that we want to design MirrorMaker for 0 data loss.
> With the absence of the data channel, 0 data loss will be much simpler to
> implement.

The data channel is irrelevant to the implementation of zero data
loss. The complexity in the implementation of no data loss that you
are seeing in mirror-maker affects all consume-then-produce patterns
whether or not there is a data channel.  You still need to maintain a
list of unacked offsets. What I meant earlier is that we can
brainstorm completely different approaches to supporting no data loss,
but the current implementation is the only solution we are aware of.

> My arguments for adding a message handler are that:
> > 1. It is more efficient to do something in common for all the clients in
> > pipeline than letting each client do the same thing for many times. And
> > there are concrete use cases for the message handler already.
> >

> What are the concrete use cases?

I think Becket already described a couple of use cases earlier in the
thread.

<quote>

1. Format conversion. We have a use case where clients of source
cluster
use an internal schema and clients of target cluster use a different
public schema.
2. Message filtering: For the messages published to source cluster,
there
are some messages private to source cluster clients and should not
exposed
to target cluster clients. It would be difficult to publish those
messages
into different partitions because they need to be ordered.
I agree that we can always filter/convert messages after they are
copied
to the target cluster, but that costs network bandwidth unnecessarily,
especially if that is a cross colo mirror. With the handler, we can
co-locate the mirror maker with source cluster and save that cost.
Also,
imagine there are many downstream consumers consuming from the target
cluster, filtering/reformatting the messages before the messages reach
the
target cluster is much more efficient than having each of the
consumers do
this individually on their own.

</quote>