I agree with Jun here, that it would make it easier to do lag checking.
However, for individual checks it's really not that much trouble to do the
second request. If you're doing a lot of lag checking (like every consumer
and every topic) where the scale would start to make a difference, I would
argue that you should not be using individual OffsetFetchRequests to do it.
You should instead consume the __consumer_offsets topic to get the
committed offsets, in which case you're still back to getting the high
watermark another way (either through an OffsetRequest or through JMX).

-Todd