On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Jay Kreps <jay.kr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason the docs are in svn is that when we were setting up the site
> apache required that to publish doc changes. Two possible fixes:
> 1. Follow up with infra to see if they have git integration working yet
> 2. Move to a model where doc "source" is kept in the main git and we use
> jenkyl or something like that to generate result html (i.e. with things
> like headers) and then check that in to svn to publish it.
>
> The second item would have the advantage of not needing to configure apache
> includes to see the docs, but would likely trade it for jenkyl setup stuff.
> Jenkyl might actually fix a lot of the repetitive stuff in the docs today
> (e.g. generating section numbers, adding <p> tags, etc).

What we do at other projects that I'm familiar with (Sqoop, Flume) is
that we manage the docs "source" (i.e. asciidoc or similar) in git.
When its time to release a version (i.e. after a successful vote on
RC), we build the docs, manually copy to the SVN repo and push (or
whatever the SVN equivalent...). Its a bit of a manual pain, but its
only few times a year. This is also a good opportunity to upload
updated javadocs, docs generated from ConfigDef and KafkaMetrics, etc.

Gwen