Hey Gwen,

Thanks for the feedback. As Joel said, these client configs do not introduce a
producer/consumer zk dependency. It is configuration that is needed by the
broker.

>From your comments, I gather that you are more worried about managing broker
>internal configs via Zookeeper since we already have a file. So why have two
>mechanisms? Given that we already manage topic specific configuration in ZK,
>it seems a good fit to at least have client configs there since these config
>parameters aren't really driven through a file anyway. It also maintains
>consistency.

Even for broker configs, it seems very consistent to have all the overridden
configs in one place which is easy to view and change. As you mentioned user's
shouldn't ever have to fiddle with Zookeeper directly, our tooling should
provide the ability to view and modify configs on a per-broker basis. I do like
your suggestion of reloading config files but I'm not sure this works easily
for everyone. For example, often these per-host overrides in config files are
managed by hostname but what we really want are broker level overrides which
means that it should ideally be tied to a broker-id which is a Kafka detail. In
addition, sometimes these configs pushed to individual hosts aren't the
properties files themselves.. rather some company specific stuff that also
contains the Kafka configs. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that people
may not be able to reload configs directly from file without doing some
additional work in many cases.

As far as propogating configuration changes, perhaps I can clarify this section
a bit more. Also, we can also do a pass over all the configs in KafkaConfig and
have a list of properties that can be converted slowly.

Thanks,
Aditya