Hello Kafka developers,

We have built a prototype analytics processing pipeline using Kafka and Samza
and are working on making it production ready. We are using Docker to
containerize Kafka service and one problem we are having is specifying
configuration options in properties files, specifically the
advertised.host.name property. We can not use the result returned from
getCanonicalName() because it is not resolvable and would like to specify it as
an environment variable when starting the container, as is recommended in
http://12factor.net/config .

Currently there is no option to do it, as I understand. Any thoughts around
implementing this? I can submit a patch for it myself, if needed, but I would
like to get more input from the current developers before going forward.

Lukas