I've been watching this discussion for a while, and I have to jump in and
side with Gwen here. I see no benefit to putting the configs into Zookeeper
entirely, and a lot of downside. The two biggest problems I have with this
are:

1) Configuration management. OK, so you can write glue for Chef to put
configs into Zookeeper. You also need to write glue for Puppet. And
Cfengine. And everything else out there. Files are an industry standard
practice, they're how just about everyone handles it, and there's reasons
for that, not just "it's the way it's always been done".

2) Auditing. Configuration files can easily be managed in a source
repository system which tracks what changes were made and who made them. It
also easily allows for rolling back to a previous version. Zookeeper does
not.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with putting the quota (client) configs and
the topic config overrides in Zookeeper, and keeping everything else
exactly where it is, in the configuration file. To handle configurations
for the broker that can be changed at runtime without a restart, you can
use the industry standard practice of catching SIGHUP and rereading the
configuration file at that point.

-Todd