My gut reaction is that this isn't that important for folks otherwise they
would have complained already. If it is a blocker for folks upgrading to
0.8.2.1 then we should do a 0.8.2.2 release with this fix in it. For 0.9.0.
we are pushing for folks to start using the new consumer and that is the
upgrade path we should continue on, imho. If we are going to phase out the
scala clients then we need to strive to not be making changes to them on
trunk.

~ Joe Stein

  http://www.stealth.ly