From: Aditya Auradkar
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:26 AM
To: dev@kafka.apache.org
Subject: RE: [VOTE] KIP-21 Dynamic Configuration

I think we should remove the config part in TopicMetadataResponse. It's
probably cleaner if Alter and Describe are the only way to view and modify
configs but I don't feel very strongly about it.

Re-summarizing the proposed changes to KIP-4:
- Change AlterTopic to not allow setting configs. Config changes will flow
through AlterConfig. CreateTopic will still allow setting configs as it is nice
to be able to specify configs while creating the topic.
- TopicMetadataResponse shoudn't return config for the topic. DescribeConfig is
the way to go.
- Change "InvalidTopicConfiguration" error code to "InvalidEntityConfig" as
proposed in KIP-21.

Aditya

What about TopicMetadataResponse in KIP-4? Do we remove the config part in
it?

Thanks,

Jun