Hi, Guozhang,

Thanks for starting this. I took a quick look and had the following
thoughts to share:

- In the proposed KafkaProcessor API, there is no interface like Collector
that allows users to send messages to. Why is that? Is the idea to
initialize the producer once and re-use it in the processor? And if there
are many KStreamThreads in the process, are there going to be many
instances of KafkaProducer although all outputs are sending to the same
Kafka cluster?

- Won’t it be simpler if the process() API just takes in the ConsumerRecord
as the input instead of a tuple of (topic, key, value)?

- Also, the input only indicates the topic of a message. What if the stream
task needs to consume and produce messages from/to multiple Kafka clusters?
To support that case, there should be a system/cluster name in both input
and output as well.

- How are the output messages handled? There does not seem to have an
interface that allows user to send an output messages to multiple output
Kafka clusters.

- It seems the proposed model also assumes one thread per processor. What
becomes thread-local and what are shared among processors? Is the proposed
model targeting to have the consumers/producers become thread-local
instances within each KafkaProcessor? What’s the cost associated with this
model?

- One more important issue: how do we plug-in client-side partition
management logic? Considering about the use case where the stream task
needs to consume from multiple Kafka clusters, I am not even sure that we
can rely on Kafka broker to maintain the consumer group membership? Maybe
we still can get the per cluster consumer group membership and partitions.
However, in this case, we truly need a client-side plugin partition
management logic to determine how to assign partitions in different Kafka
clusters to consumers (i.e. consumers for cluster1.topic1.p1 and
cluster2.topic2.p1 has to be assigned together to one KafkaProcessor for
processing). Based on the full information about (group members, all topic
partitions) in all Kafka clusters with input topics, there should be two
levels of partition management policies: a) how to group all topic
partitions in all Kafka clusters to processor groups (i.e. the same concept
as Task group in Samza); b) how to assign the processor groups to group
members. Note if a processor group includes topic partitions from more than
one Kafka clusters, it has to be assigned to the common group members in
all relevant Kafka clusters. This can not be done just by the brokers in a
single Kafka cluster.

- It seems that the intention of this KIP is also trying to put SQL/DSL
libraries into Kafka. Why is it? Shouldn't Kafka be more focused on hiding
system-level integration details and leave it open for any additional
modules outside the Kafka core to enrich the functionality that are
user-facing?

Just a few quick cents. Thanks a lot!

-Yi