I just updated the KIP-33 to explain the indexing on CreateTime and
LogAppendTime respectively. I also used some use case to compare the two
solutions.
Although this is for KIP-33, but it does give a some insights on whether it
makes sense to have a per message LogAppendTime.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-33+-+Add+a+time+based+log+index

As a short summary of the conclusions we have already reached on timestamp:
1. It is good to add a timestamp to the message.
2. LogAppendTime should be used for broker policy enforcement (Log
retention / rolling)
3. It is useful to have a CreateTime in message format, which is immutable
after producer sends the message.

There are following questions still in discussion:
1. Should we also add LogAppendTime to message format?
2. which timestamp should we use to build the index.

Let's talk about question 1 first because question 2 is actually a follow
up question for question 1.
Here are what I think:
1a. To enforce broker log policy, theoretically we don't need per-message
LogAppendTime. If we don't include LogAppendTime in message, we still need
to implement a separate solution to pass log segment timestamps among
brokers. That means if we don't include the LogAppendTime in message, there
will be further complication in replication.
1b. LogAppendTime has some advantage over CreateTime (KIP-33 has detail
comparison)
1c. We have already exposed offset, which is essentially an internal
concept of message in terms of position. Exposing LogAppendTime means we
expose another internal concept of message in terms of time.

Considering the above reasons, personally I think it worth adding the
LogAppendTime to each message.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin