This overrides the partitioning logic for all topics, right? That means I have
to explicitly call the default partitioning logic for all topics except those
that my Producer forwards. I’m guess the best way to do by extending
org.apache.kafka.clients.producer.DefaultProducer. Of course, with multiple
sinks in my topology, I have to put all of the partitioning logic inside a
single class.

What would you think about adding an overloaded TopologyBuilder.addSink(…)
method that takes a Partitioner (or better yet a smaller functional interface).
The resulting SinkProcessor could use that Partitioner instance to set the
partition number? That’d be super convenient for users, would keep the logic
where it belongs (where the topology defines the sinks), and best of all the
implementations won't have to worry about any other topics, such as those used
by stores, metrics, or other sinks.

Best regards,

Randall