Hi Jun,

I see. If we only use index.interval.bytes, the time index entry will be
inserted when (1) the largest timestamp is in this segment AND (2) at least
index.interval.bytes have been appended since last time index entry
insertion.
In this case (1) becomes implicit instead of having an explicit threshold
of time.index.interval.ms. This should work fine.

For 1, the current proposal is actually intended to use the offsets of the
messages instead of the file position. The reason is that
OffsetRequest(ListOffsetRequest) gives back a list of offsets. Having
offsets instead of file position is more convenient in that case. So far we
don't have an interface for consumer to directly consume from a given
timestamp. Supposedly we will have to first return the offset to the
consumer then the consumer can issue a fetch request. But this does mean
that we need to look up the index twice if we want to search to a
particular message using timestamp.

For 2, that is a good point. It looks we have to persist the max timestamp
of each segment. I am thinking of reserving the first time index entry in
each time index file. When broker shuts down or rolls out a new segment, we
persist the max timestamp in the segment by writing a time index entry to
the first entry. During timestamp search we will ignore the first time
index entry. So the log retention will always be able to know for sure if a
log segment is supposed to be deleted or not by looking at the first entry
of time index.

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin