Perhaps clients should always send the oldest version of the metadata
request which supports KIP-35 when initially connecting to the cluster.
Depending on the versions in the response, it can upgrade to a more recent
version. Then maybe we don't need the empty response hack?

One thing that's not clear to me is whether the ultimate goal of this KIP
is to have our clients support multiple broker versions. It would be a
little weird to have this feature if our own clients don't use it.

-Jason