Engineers,

sorry to stir up some dust on this KIP but following yesterday's discussion
on the KIP call I'm a bit concerned about the way the SASL handshake
protocol is diverging even more from the main Kafka protocol.
The SASL handshake is already its own special protocol and the latest
addition of SaslMechanisms request in KIP-43
adds yet another protocol on top of that, making assumptions on what SASL
libraries are communicating in the opaque data channel.
Unlike TLS, SASL has no standard handshake protocol so conceiving a special
non-Kafka protocol just for SASL in Kafka is unwarranted given that the
Kafka protocol natively supports the same semantics.
There's also a non-neglectable maintenance aspect of maintaining a separate
protocol, in regards to documentation, versioning, testing, protocol stack
implementations (broker and clients * N), etc.

So let me suggest a different approach that pulls the SASL handshake into
the Kafka protocol properly and makes the
authentication an in-band connection setup step.

Create two new proper Kafka requests:

SaslMechanismsRequest V0 {
  // empty (see discussion below)
}

SaslMechanismResponse V0 {
     int16 errroCode;     // e.g. AuthenticationNotRequired (when SASL is
not configured) - or maybe just return an empty list in that case
    Array[String] mechanisms;   // server's supported mechanisms. Client
may choose which one to use.
}

 SaslHandshakeRequest V0 {
     string selected_mechanism;  // client's selected mechanism, MUST not
change during a handshake (ignore in sub-sequent requests?)
     bytes data;    // opaque SASL library handshake data.
 }

SaslHandshakeResponse V0 {
    int16 errorCode;   // e.g. UnsupportedMechanism, and arbitrary SASL
library exceptions, etc.
    bytes data;   // opaque SASL library handshake data.
}

(Note: I'll leave the exact format of the above Request/Responses to the
people in the know, this is a proof of concept layout.)

The protocol semantics of the current SASL handshake, which is driven by
the underlying SASL libraries,  remains in place,
such as sending zero length requests to "poll" the remote side, etc.

Regarding empty SaslMechanismRequest:
A previous proposal suggests sending the client's configured mechanism in
the SaslMechanismRequest, which is fine but if we do that there  is no
point in returning the broker's list of mechanisms since the client has
already chosen - only the error code is needed.
 For clients wanting to support multiple mechanisms it can iterate over its
configured mechanisms and send a  SaslMechanismRequest for each one, but
that just adds complexity at no gain, and at the end of the day the
desired_mechanism check in the broker is purely cosmetic.

 If we instead skip the desired mechanism and let the broker always return
its list of supported mechanisms the client can choose the one it needs,
this allows a client to optionally support multiple mechanisms and also
puts the decision logic in the client rather than the server.

 If the argument is that a client will only support one mechanism (which I
think is a bold claim to make) then the SaslMechanismRequest isn't needed
at all, the client can jump directly SaslHandshakeRequest {
selected_mechanism="mymechanism" } and look for UnsupportedMechanism in the
response's errorCode.

Typical client MO using the above requests:

# Use ApiVersion info to select the proper SaslMechanismRequest version to
use (for future use..)
 Client > Broker:   ApiVersionRequest      // (optional) query for
supported API versions, possibly limited to
{SaslHandshakeReq,SaslMechanismsReq..}
 Broker < Client:   ApiVersionResponse { .. }

# Request broker's supported mechanisms list
 Client > Broker:  SaslMechanismRequest { }
 Broker < Client:  SaslMechanismResponse { mechanisms = { "GSSAPI", "KRB",
.. }

# If broker responded with an empty mechanisms list, alternative an
AuthenticationNotRequired error code, the client skips to its operational
phase.
# If the client can't find a supported mechanism in the returned mechanisms
list it raises an error to the application.

# Otherwise the client selects a proper mechanism and the auth handshake
begins:
 Client > Broker: SaslHandshakeRequest { mechanism="KRB", data =
KRB-specific data.. }
 Broker > Client: SaslHandshakeResponse { data = KRB-specific data }
    repeat as necessary

# Client is now authenticated and may start its usual operation of
MetadataRequest, Produce, Fetch, etc...

Pros:
 + Using the standard Kafka protocol provides proper versioning,
documentation, feature detection, etc, out of the box.
 + Less complex protcol implementations in both client and brokers.
Standard protocol stack can be used.
 + No need to define a specific SASL port, SASL is now an in-band operation
on any type of connection (PLAINTEXT, SSL)
 + Requires proper per-API auth enforcement in the broker, which is a good
thing. (i.e., if SASL is configured an unauthenticated client should not be
permitted to call any API but ApiVersion, SaslHandshake, SaslMechanisms,
..).
 + Future proof, the SASL/Auth handshake protocol can evolve naturally
using KIP-35 for feature detection.
 + Looking forward this also enables re-authentication in the current
session, if there's ever a use case for that.

Cons:
 - Requires proper per-API auth enforcement in the broker, but this is a
good thing. An initial naiive approach to this is to only allow Sasl* and
ApiVersion requests prior to authentication (if auth is required).

Compatibility:
 - Leave the current legacy SASL handshake in place for SASL_PLAINTEXT and
SASL_SSL connections to not break existing 0.9 clients (that is the Java
client and librdkafka,  no other clients have implemented SASL yet AFAIK).
Deprecate this method in documentation.
 - SSL and PLAINTEXT connections will use in-band authentication if SASL is
configured.

/Magnus