+1 on Jun's idea.

Even without the new consumer, currently we may still face this issue of
record size too large in offset topic if user commits offsets with a big
blob of metadata.

Topic pattern would help reduce the group metadata size. However some use
cases may not be able to benefit from it. For example, one use case we have
for mirror maker is dynamically changing the topics to consume based on the
end user's requirement. In that case even if we use the regex it would
probably become a topic list.

Also, I think we should probably turn on compression for offset topic by
default. The metadata of JoinGroupRequests are likely similar so the
aggregated metadata should be highly compressible.

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin