Hi Jason,

There are a few problems we want to solve here:
1. The group metadata is too big to be appended to the log.
2. Reduce the memory footprint on the broker
3. Reduce the bytes transferred over the wire.

To solve (1), I like your idea of having separate messages per member. The
proposal (Onur's option 8) is to break metadata into small records in the
same uncompressed message set so each record is small. I agree it would be
ideal if we are able to store the metadata separately for each member. I
was also thinking about storing the metadata into multiple messages, too.
What concerns me was that having multiple messages seems breaking the
atomicity. I am not sure how we are going to deal with the potential
issues. For example, What if group metadata is replicated but the member
metadata is not? It might be fine depending on the implementation though,
but I am not sure.

For (2) we want to store the metadata onto the disk, which is what we have
to do anyway. The only question is in what format should we store them.

To address (3) we want to have the metadata to be compressed, which is
contradict to the the above solution of (1).

I think Jun's suggestion is probably still the simplest. To avoid changing
the behavior for consumers, maybe we can do that only for offset_topic,
i.e, if the max fetch bytes of the fetch request is smaller than the
message size on the offset topic, we always return at least one full
message. This should avoid the unexpected problem on the client side
because supposedly only tools and brokers will fetch from the the internal
topics,

As a modification to what you suggested, one solution I was thinking was to
have multiple messages in a single compressed message. That means for
SyncGroupResponse we still need to read the entire compressed messages and
extract the inner messages, which seems not quite different from having a
single message containing everything. But let me just put it here and see
if that makes sense.

We can have a map of GroupMetadataKey -> GroupMetadataValueOffset.

The GroupMetadataValue is stored in a compressed message. The inner
messages are the following:

Inner Message 0: Version GroupId Generation

Inner Message 1: MemberId MemberMetadata_1 (we can compress the bytes here)

Inner Message 2: MemberId MemberMetadata_2
Inner Message N: MemberId MemberMetadata_N

The MemberMetadata format is the following:
  MemberMetadata => Version Generation ClientId Host Subscription Assignment

So DescribeGroupResponse will just return the entire compressed
GroupMetadataMessage. SyncGroupResponse will return the corresponding inner
message.

Thanks,

Jiangjie (Becket) Qin