Hi Jason,

Thanks for your input - appreciated.

1. Would it make sense to use this KIP in the consumer coordinator to
> expire offsets based on the topic's retention time? Currently, we have a
> periodic task which scans the full cache to check which offsets can be
> expired, but we might be able to get rid of this if we had a callback to
> update the cache when a segment was deleted. Technically offsets can be
> given their own expiration time, but it seems questionable whether we need
> this going forward (the new consumer doesn't even expose it at the moment).

The KIP in its current form isn't adding a callback. So you'd still need to
scan the cache and remove any expired offsets, however you wouldn't send
the tombstone messages.
Having a callback sounds useful, though it isn't clear to me how you would
know which offsets to remove from the cache on segment deletion? I will
look into it.

> 2. This KIP could also be useful for expiration in the case of a cache
> maintained on the client, but I don't see an obvious way that we'd be able
> to leverage it since there's no indication to the client when a segment has
> been deleted (unless they reload the cache from the beginning of the log).
> One approach I can think of would be to write corresponding tombstones as
> necessary when a segment is removed, but that seems pretty heavy. Have you
> considered this problem?

We've not considered this and I'm not sure we want to as part of this KIP.

Thanks,
Damian