KIP call sounds good. Given that we only have an hour, it may make sense to
prioritise the items that would benefit from KIP call discussion. I am
leaving some comments below to hopefully help with prioritisation.

>    - KIP-33: Add a time based log index

This has been merged.

>    - KIP-50: Move Authorizer to o.a.k.common package

Now that we have an ACL protocol request proposal, it has become apparent
that the existing Authorizer interface could be better. Since we are
introducing a new Java interface, it might make sense to take the chance to
make these changes at the same time (Grant raised this point elsewhere as
well). It would be good to discuss this.

>    - KIP-55: Secure Quotas for Authenticated Users

There's a PR for this one (https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/1753), so
it seems like it just needs a reviewer.

>    - KIP-67: Queryable state for Kafka Streams

This is mostly merged, additional testing and stabilisation is ongoing.

>    - KIP-70: Revise Partition Assignment Semantics on New Consumer's
> Subscription

There's a PR (https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/1726) with an ongoing
discussion.

> Change
>
> and discuss some of the unvoted ones that are currently active and may
need
> more discussion?
>    - Time-based releases for Apache Kafka

Good to discuss as Guozhang said.

>    - Java 7 support timeline

Good to discuss as Guozhang said. Based on the feedback on the mailing list
thread I started, I'm currently leaning towards proposing that we drop
support for Java 7 on the next major release (which won't happen before
next year from what I can tell). It would be good to reach agreement so
that we can let users know ahead of time.

>    - KIP-4: ACL Admin Schema

Good to discuss.

>    - KIP-73: Replication Quotas

Good to discuss (even though there are enough binding +1 votes for the KIP
to pass).

>    - KIP-74: Add FetchResponse size limit in bytes

Vote passed.

Given the above, my suggestion would be to discuss the following first (the
items that are likely to affect the next release are above Java 7 support
timeline, which could be discussed in a follow-up KIP meeting without much
impact):

   1. Time-based releases
   2. KIP-4: ACL Admin Schema
   3. KIP-50: Move Authorizer to o.a.k.common package
   4. KIP-73: Replication Quotas
   5. Java 7 support timeline

If we have time, we can discuss other things, but it seems unlikely.
Thoughts?

Ismael