On Tuesday 06 September 2016 09:42 AM, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
Hi Todd,

Note that this relies on the fix in KAFKA-4050 and switching the PRNG to
SHA1PRNG.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that JIRA. I'll make sure we use it in our setup. However, right now, (intentionally) we have single broker within the setup and based on the JIRA details, I believe this one won't affect us for now.

I read that JIRA again and saw the stacktrace. I might be wrong when I said this probably doesn't affect us given that the code path appears to the same for other SSL interactions. I'm going to introduce this patch (or in fact the latest 0.10 branch) in our setup and see how it goes.

-Jaikiran

Right now, we're specifically avoiding moving consume traffic to SSL, due
to the zero copy send issue. Now I've been told (but I have not
investigated) that OpenSSL can solve this. It would probably be a good use
of time to look into that further.

Unfortunately, the way our application is written, we don't have the ability to enable SSL for producers and disable it for consumers. Changing the application to support something like that is doable, but I will have to make sure that this is one of the reasons for the slowness.

Thanks for all your inputs. I was trying to avoid coming up with a reproducer which closely matches our application usage scenario (given our tight delivery timelines for the product), but from what you say and a reply Tom Crayford in this thread, I am starting to feel that not everyone is affected to the extent we are. I will see if I can narrow to this down to something more concrete.

-Jaikiran

That said, switching the message format to the newer option (KIP-31 I
believe?) will result in the brokers not needing to recompress message
batches that are produced. This should result in a significant reduction in
CPU usage, which may offset the cost of SSL. We haven't had a chance to
fully investigate this, however, as changing that config depends on the
clients being updated to support the new format.

-Todd