-1

As an end-user, while I like the idea in theory, in practice I don't think
it's a good idea just yet.

Certainly, it'd be useful, enabling things like
https://github.com/Landoop/kafka-topics-ui to work without needing anything
outside of Kafka core.

But there are already enough things in the existing Kafka core that feel a
little half-baked, especially on the ops side... there's been a few threads
lately on the users mailing list where users have asked about functionality
that seems like it should be standard and all proffered solutions have
seemed a bit hacky.

Similarly, while I understand the argument that having a solid HTTP
endpoint would obviate the need for other language bindings, I'm not sure
that's what would happen. From a speed perspective, I'd often rather use
the native bindings in my language of choice, even if it's unofficial and
may be lagging behind on features. So this doesn't feel that compelling to
me.

I'd rather the Kafka community focus on making Kafka rock-solid at what it
does, particularly having the existing CLI ops tooling and docs be really
solid before trying to add fairly major new pieces to the project.

Plus I think it's very beneficial for the Kafka community for Confluent to
have a strong business model--they provide many contributions to core that
most of us benefit from for free. Keeping a few things like the REST
interface under their umbrella gives them free marketing exposure while
still allowing the rest of us access to their tooling as free/open-source.