Hi Becket,

We were thinking more about having the logic that’s in the method
shouldRetainMessage configurable via
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#brokerconfigs  at a broker/topic
level. And then scrap auto converting the message, and allow organisations to
manage the rollout of enabling of the feature.
(this isn’t in documentation but in response to the discussion thread as an
alternative approach to roll out the feature)

Does this make any more sense?

Thanks
Mike