both 5a and 5c would involve a wire format change, so any arguments about
needing an upgrade path bumping protocol version etc apply equally to both.
so the "cost" (in terms of impact of a wire format change) is the same.

5c, to me, means doing all the work (more exactly incurring all the cost)
but getting very few of the benefits. a universal, agreed-upon structure
for headers (specifically their keys) is, in my opinion, a basic
requirement to reap the full benefits of headers - an active ecosystem of
composable, re-usable, 3rd-party extensions to kafka.

as for what exactly those keys are (int vs string) - since using ints is
such a giant sticking point and given kafka usually operates with batching
and compression and does not achieve high-enough iops for it to make a
noticeable difference in CPU consumption I'm willing to go with string keys
just to get that out of the way.