A local namespace mapping from namespace ids to ints would definitely solve
the problem of having a global namespace and would make the int header keys
potentially more readable for logging and debugging purposes.  But this
means another (potentially very large) set of configuration parameters that
need to be present on each component that wants to inspect the headers. I'm
sure it will be a fun day to track down that class of misconfiguration.

If the brokers are inspecting the headers then the brokers need this
config.  If the config changes then the brokers need to be restarted which
seems pretty expensive.  Otherwise there now needs to be a new way to
update the broker with this information.

Java itself does not have namespace collisions often and there is not a
central registration of namespaces. The set of Kafka infrastructure
engineers is much smaller than that namespace.  Having reasonable names
should allow every header user to peacefully coexist.

--
Sean McCauliff
Staff Software Engineer

smccaul...@linkedin.com