3) Yes - Header value as byte[]

4a) Int,Int - No
4b) Int - Yes
4c) String - Reluctant maybe

5) I believe the header system should take a single int.  I think 32bits is
a good size, if you want to interpret this as to 16bit numbers in the layer
above go right ahead.  If somebody wants to argue for 16 bits or 64 bits of
header key space I would listen.

Dividing the key space into sub_key_1 and sub_key_2 makes no sense to me at
this layer.  Are we going to start providing APIs to get all the
sub_key_1s? or all the sub_key_2s?  If there is no distinguishing functions
that are applied to each one then they should be a single value.  At this
layer all we're doing is equality.
If the above layer wants to interpret this as 2, 3 or more values that's a
different question.  I personally think it's all one keyspace that is
getting assigned using some structure, but if you want to sub-assign parts
of it then that's fine.

The same discussion applies to strings.  If somebody argued for strings,
would we be arguing to divide the strings with dots ('.') as a requirement?
Would we want them to give us the different name segments separately?
Would we be performing any actions on this key other than matching?

Nacho