From:   Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Date:   11/30/2016 04:00 PM
Subject:        Re: [DISCUSS] KIP 88: OffsetFetch Protocol Update

Hey Vahid,

Sorry to getting to this so late. I don't have a strong preference for
keeping it out of the KafkaConsumer API. Having a no-arg committed()
method
which returns all the committed offsets seems natural and could be useful.
Since no one has asked for it, however, I'd lean toward supporting this
functionality only in the AdminClient, which appears to be what you chose.
If that's the case, then the only public API change here is that
OffsetFetchRequest can accept null for the list of partitions, which seems
reasonable. I also think it's a nice improvement not to have to create the
"dummy" consumer to lookup offsets.

Since this KIP has been out for a while, maybe put it to a vote if no one
else has feedback in the next couple days?

Thanks,
Jason