Since this KIP affects message format, wire protocol, apis, I think it's
worth spending a bit more time to nail down the concrete use cases. It
would be bad if we add this feature, but when start implementing it for say
mirroring, we then realize that header is not the best approach. Initially,
I thought I was convinced of the use cases of headers and was trying to
write down a few use cases to convince others. That's when I became less
certain. For me to be convinced, I just want to see two strong use cases
(instead of 10 maybe use cases) in the third-party space. The reason is
that when we discussed the use cases within a company, often it ends with
"we can't force everyone to use this standard since we may have to
integrate with third-party tools".

At present, I am not sure why headers are useful for things like schemaId
or encryption. In order to do anything useful to the value, one needs to
know the schemaId or how data is encrypted, but header is optional. But, I
can be convinced if someone (Radai, Sean, Todd?) provides more details on
the argument.

I am not very sure header is the best approach for mirroring either. If
someone has thought about this more, I'd be happy to hear.

I can see the data lineage use case. I am just not sure how widely
applicable this is. If someone familiar with this space can justify this is
a significant use case, say in the finance industry, this would be a strong
use case.

I can see the auditing use case. I am just not sure if a native producer id
solves that problem. If there are additional metadata that's worth
collecting but not covered by the producer id, that would make this a
strong use case.

Thanks,

Jun