+1 (non-binding)

It may be worth noting in the KIP that clients can check SASL handshake
version (prior to authentication) using this approach if we ever need to
update the handshake request. But versions request cannot be used to check
which SASL mechanisms are supported, that needs to go through the SASL
handshake process.

Also, the tool that prints out versions would work on SASL-enabled brokers
without authentication. But if the broker is using SSL with client
authentication, only an authenticated client can obtain versions.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Edoardo Comar <eco...@uk.ibm.com> wrote:

> +1 (non-binding)
> I have some concerns on the potential for complexity and testing
> requirement,
> but in general having a client interoperable with two broker version would
> be great for many users.
> Edoardo Comar
> IBM MessageHub
> eco...@uk.ibm.com
> IBM UK Ltd, Hursley Park, SO21 2JN
>
> IBM United Kingdom Limited Registered in England and Wales with number
> 741598 Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hants. PO6
> 3AU
>

> From:   Gwen Shapira <g...@confluent.io>
> To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
> Date:   08/12/2016 00:42
> Subject:        Re: [VOTE]: KIP-97: The client compatibility KIP
>

> +1 (binding)
>
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Colin McCabe <cmcc...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I heard that the VOTE and DISCUSS threads for the KIP-97 discussion
> > appeared to be in the same email thread for some people using gmail.  So
> > I'm reposting in hopes of getting a separate email thread this time for
> > those viewers. :)
> >
> > I'd like to start voting on KIP-97
> > (
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-
> 97%3A+Improved+Kafka+Client+RPC+Compatibility+Policy
>
> > ).
> >
> > The discussion thread can be found here:
> > https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@kafka.apache.org/msg60955.html
> >
> > Thanks for your feedback.
> >
> > best,
> > Colin McCabe