looking at the code (SkimpyOffsetMap.get/put) they both start with
hashInto(key, hash1) and then ignore key from that point on - so we're not
using the key unless im missing something?

as for the probability of collision - it depends on the hash algo and the
number of keys. if you configure it to use something like sha-512 the
probability is truly negligible.

for example, the probability of collision on a topic with 4 billion entries
using MD5 is ~ 10^-20 (math - http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=n+%3D+2
^32,+d+%3D+2^128,+1+-+%28%28d-1%29%2Fd%29+^+%28n%28n-1%29%2F2%29)