On Wed, Feb 1, 2017, at 11:35, Dong Lin wrote:
> Hey Grant, Colin,
>
> My bad, I misunderstood Grant's suggestion initially. Indeed this is a
> very
> interesting idea to just wait for replica.max.lag.ms for the replica on
> the
> bad disk to drop out of ISR instead of having broker actively reporting
> this to the controller.
>
> I have several concerns with this approach.
>
> - Broker needs to maintain persist the information of all partitions that
> it has created, in a file in each disk. This is needed for broker to know
> the replicas already created on the bad disks that it can not access. If
> we
> don't do it, then controller sends LeaderAndIsrRequest to a broker to
> become follower for a partition on the bad disk, the broker will create
> partition on a good disk. The good disks may be overloaded as cascading
> effect.
>
> While it is possible to let broker keep track of the replicas that it has
> created, I think it is less clean than the approach in the current KIP
> for
> reason provided in the rejective alternative section.
>
> - Change is needed in the controller logic to handle failure to make a
> broker as leader when controller receives LeaderAndIsrResponse.
> Otherwise,
> things go wrong if partition on the bad disk is requested to become
> leader.
> As of now, broker doesn't handle error in LeaderAndIsrResponse.
>
> - We still need tools and mechanism for administrator to know whether a
> replica is offline due to bad disk. I am worried that asking
> administrator
> to log into a machine and get this information in the log is not scalable
> when the broker number is large. Although each company can develop their
> internal tools to get this information, it is a waste of developer time
> reinvent the wheel. Reading this information in the log also seems less
> reliable then getting it from Kafka request/response.
>
> I guess the goal of this alternative approach is to avoid making major
> change in Kafka at the cost of increased disk failure discovery time etc.
> But I think the changes required for fixing the problems above won't be
> much less.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, Dong L.

Instead of having an "offline" state, how about having a "creating"
state for replicas and a "created" state?  Then if a replica was not
accessible on any disk, but still in "created" state, the broker could
know that something had gone wrong.  This also would catch issues like
the broker being started without all log directories configured, or
disks not being correctly mounted at the expected mount points, leading
to empty directories.

> To answer Colin's questions:
>
> - There is no action required on the side of administrator in case of log
> directory failure.
>
> - Broker itself is going to discover log directory failure and declare
> offline replicas. Broker doesn't explicitly declare log directory
> failure.
> But administrator can learn from the MetadataResponse that replica is
> offline due to disk failure, i.e. if replica is offline but broker is
> online.

Can you expand on this a little bit?  It sounds like you are considering
dealing with failures on a replica-by-replica basis, rather than a
disk-by-disk basis.  But it's disks that fail, not really individual
files or directories on disks.  This decision interacts poorly with the
lack of a periodic scanner.  It's easy to imagine a scenario where an
infrequently used replica sits on a dead disk for a long time without us
declaring it dead.

> - This KIP does not handle cases where a few disks on a broker are full,
> but the others have space. If a disk is full and can not be written then
> the disk is considered to have failed. The imbalance across disks is an
> existing problem and will be handled in KIP-113.

OK.

> - This KIP does not do a disk scanner that will periodically check for
> error conditions. It doesn't handle any performance degradation of disks.
> We wait for a failure to happen before declaring a disk bad.
>
> Yes, this KIP requires us to fix cases in the code where we are
> suppressing
> disk errors or ignoring their root cause. But decision of which Exception
> should be considered disk failure and how to handle each of these are
> more
> like implementation detail. I hope we can focus on the detail and high
> level idea of this KIP and only worry about specific exception when the
> patch is being reviewed.

Hmm... I think we should discuss how we are going to harden the code
against disk failures, and verify that it has been hardened.  Or maybe
we could do this in a follow-up KIP.

> After all we probably only know the list of
> exceptions and ways to handle them when we start to implement the KIP.
> And
> we need to improve this list over time as we discover various failure in
> the deployment.
>

> Hey Eno,
>
> Sure thing. Thanks for offering time to have a KIP meeting to discuss
> this.
> I will ask other Kafka developer at LinkedIn about their availability.

Yeah, it would be nice to talk about this.

regards,
Colin