On Fri, Feb 3, 2017, at 16:25, Guozhang Wang wrote:
> Thanks for the proposal Colin. A few comments below:

Thanks for taking a look, Guozhang.

> 1. There are a couple of classes that looks new to me but not defined
> anywhere. For example: NewTopic (topic name and configs?), TopicInfo (is
> this a wrapper of MetadataResponse.TopicMetadata?), NodeApiVersions,
> GroupOverview.
> Could you provide their class definitions?

Good point.  I will add them in the KIP.

NodeApiVersions is at
./clients/src/main/java/org/apache/kafka/clients/NodeApiVersions.java

> 2. In Streams, we would like to replace its own `
> org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.StreamsKafkaClient` class
> with
> this new admin client.  One additional request though, is that for create
> /
> delete topics, we'd like to use a different "flag" as BLOCKING, which
> means
> the response will not be sent back until the controller has updated its
> own
> metadata cache for the topic, and even STRICT_BLOCKING, which means the
> response will not be sent back until the metadata has been propagated to
> the whole cluster.

Hmm.  It seems like this would require additional RPCs or changes to
existing RPCs on the server.  So we should handle this in a follow-on
KIP, I think.

> 3. I'm wondering what's the usage of "public Map<Node,
> Try<List<GroupOverview>>> getAllGroups()", or rather, would it be more
> useful to get a specific group information given the group id? Otherwise
> we
> need to query each one of the coordinator.

That's a good point.  We should have an API that gets information about
a specific group, by querying only the coordinator for that group.  By
the way, what specific group information should we expose, besides name
and protocolType?

> 4. I'm +1 with Ismael's suggestion for having the AdminClient interface
> with a KafkaAdminClient impl, this at least allows easier mocks for unit
> testing.

Yeah, I agree.  Hopefully that will also make it a little clearer what
the boundary is between the internal functions and classes and the
public API.  I'll update the KIP accordingly.

thanks,
Colin