Hi Stefan,

The mailing list suppressed your attachment, so, it's hard to offer any
advice without the error.  I'd suggest trying to post the error in a GitHub
Gist, or some similar format.

I dug up this mailing list archive about starting a Kafka server in-process
that might help:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/kafka-users/201608.mbox/%3CCAJTjOQG5MdboQ9ciBrvZNLQzaDAvKhyQeW-mmz-br4bWy32B7A%40mail.gmail.com%3E
 The whole thread (Automated Testing w/ Kafka Streams) has a few other
approaches as well that you might be interested in trying.

Mathieu